Thursday, February 4, 2010

Evolution

In the past few months, I have been thinking a lot about economic processes such as markets. I believe that the theory is compelling that the free market is remarkably orderly. It coordinates information throughout an economy efficiently through prices. Prices convey information such as supply and demand which cause people to change their behavior. The idea that government can control the market or make the market more efficient is wholly arrogant and misguided. When the market process is left alone, it selects products and services that are the most valued by society. It also selects for beneficial behavior.

The concept of market process was incredibly similar to the idea of natural selection and evolution within biology. It seemed that I had to accept the process of biological evolution to maintain logical consistency. I knew so little about evolution that I decided to study it. Yesterday, I was studying evolution and I felt that what I was studying was true. I felt so much gratitude towards God for the wonderful feelings that I experienced. I hope to share more of what I am learning about evolution and how it fits into the gospel.

Here is a quote from Gordon B. Hinckley:
“I remember when I was a college student there were great discussions on the question of organic evolution. I took classes in geology and biology and heard the whole story of Darwinism as it was then taught. I wondered about it. I thought much about it. But I did not let it throw me, for I read what the scriptures said about our origins and our relationship to God. Since then I have become acquainted with what to me is a far more important and wonderful kind of evolution. It is the evolution of men and women as the sons and daughters of God, and of our marvelous potential for growth as children of our Creator.”
—President Gordon B. Hinckley, “God Hath Not Given Us the Spirit of Fear,” Ensign, Oct. 1984, 5

1 comment:

  1. Something I love about BYU-Idaho is that we are not only allowed to bring religion into the classrooms, but encouraged to. During my Science Foundations class our first few weeks were devoted to the relationship between science and religion. Evolution, being one of the most debated issues, both inside and outside of the church, was mentioned as well.
    I remember getting a lot out of the articles that were assigned to our class for reading, maybe you would like to go over them as well?

    This link is an article published by the church about it's official standing with the Theory of Evolution (I hope it works for you): http://ilearn.byui.edu/bbcswebdav/xid-340017_1

    And one of my favorites is a short book written by Elder John A. Widtsoe, who was a world-famous scientist and an apostle. He wrote this book to help individuals understand the nature of the relationship that should exist between science and religion. Unfortunately the link I have is not working. But if you can get your hands on that book, I recommend you do! I also love his other works.

    ReplyDelete