Monday, June 27, 2011

God's Love is Conditional

God has a perfect love for everyone. This love is universal and infinite.
God's love even extends to Satan.

However, God does not love all of His children equally. God has higher levels of love for those who keep His commandments. Therefore, God's love is conditional.

God's blessings are also conditional with a few exceptions—such as immortality. Eternal life is the greatest reward reserved only for the obedient.

According to Russell M. Nelson,
Understanding that divine love and blessings are not truly “unconditional” can defend us against common fallacies such as these: “Since God’s love is unconditional, He will love me regardless …”; or “Since ‘God is love,’ He will love me unconditionally, regardless …”
These are important concepts that are greatly misunderstood in the church. One can even find plenty of quotes from other apostles and church leaders that seem to contradict these principles. The scriptures are quite clear on the matter:
  • “If ye keep my commandments, [then] ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love.” (John 15:10)
  • “If you keep not my commandments, [then] the love of the Father shall not continue with you.” (D&C 95:12)
  • “If a man love me, [then] he will keep my words: and my Father will love him.” (John 14:23)
  • “I love them that love me; and those that seek me … shall find me.” (Prov. 8:17)
  • “God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.” (Acts 10:34–35)
  • The Lord “loveth those who will have him to be their God.” (1 Ne. 17:40)
  • “He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.” (John 14:21)

No comments:

Post a Comment